Satellite is dedicated to providing a learning community that is inclusive to all its members and welcoming to folks with a diverse set of backgrounds. As such, Satellite is committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming virtual environment for all, regardless of gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, or religion (or lack thereof).
Satellite does not tolerate harassment of any community member in any form or at any time. In this document we use the word “Community” as an inclusive definition that brings in not just the Pioneers, Mentors, Trainers, and Program Directors that are the core members, but also guest speakers, business partners, vendors, sponsors, and anyone else who is interacting with the core members.
These Community Guidelines outline our expectations for all those who participate in our community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. By following these guidelines you are helping to create a safe and positive learning for everyone who participates in our community and Career Accelerator programs.
The premise of our Community Guidelines is that we expect community members to take responsibility for their behavior in addition to holding their peers accountable for being good community members. These guidelines allow Satellite to address behavior that has a negative impact on individuals and/or the community as a whole. We view these Community Guidelines as helping individuals learn and understand their personal responsibility to maintain a highly functioning community. The guidelines clearly describe behaviors that positively and negatively impact the community.
We expect all community members to follow these standards of behavior:
• Be nice: Be courteous, respectful, and polite to fellow community members in your speech and your actions. All communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds.
• Encourage diversity and participation: help everyone in our community feel welcome, regardless of their background, and do everything possible to encourage participation in our community.
• Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
• Attempt collaboration before conflict.
• Focus on constructive criticisms: When offering verbal or written feedback, you should always use welcoming and inclusive language. Be respectful of differing viewpoints and the fact that others may not have the same experiences you do. Offer suggestions for improvement, rather than focusing on mistakes. Adopt a mindset of openness to constructive feedback that others will give you.
• Respect the privacy and confidentiality of your fellow community members. Don’t share their personal information (name, phone number, email address), opinions, or content in other circles (including publicly) without their consent.
• Maintain the confidentiality of information you will encounter in this course. Don’t share curriculum, materials, lessons, event details, or any other course information with others. These are proprietary parts of the Satellite community and Career Accelerator program.
• Do not make demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing comments. Do not make sexist, racist, or otherwise exclusionary jokes.
• Be mindful of your fellow community members and alert Satellite if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or someone violating these Community Guidelines, even if what you observe seems inconsequential.
Unacceptable behaviors include intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech and comments by any Satellite community member. This includes behavior at all events and communication (group and one-on-one) carried out in the context of Satellite regardless of whether it is online or in person.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to, harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments related to gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, religion (or lack thereof), disability, inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images (including presentation slides), deliberate intimidation, stalking or following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Satellite will not tolerate any unacceptable behavior from community member, including Pioneers, Mentors, Trainers, Program Directors, speakers, and those with decision-making authority.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior must comply immediately.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, Satellite may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning (and without refund if applicable).
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify the Satellite Program Directors as soon as possible through this platform or via the “Contact Information” below. If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, dial 9-1-1.
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating these Community Guidelines, you should notify Satellite via the contact details provided in the “Contact Information” section below with a concise description of your grievance. We will review your grievance and confirm with you that we have done so; we will not necessarily take action or inform you of any action we have taken.
Satellite expects all community participants to abide by these Community Guidelines at all times while they are interacting with the community.
The Satellite Community Directors can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
These Community Guidelines are distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.